Friday, February 15, 2013

A Long Break

A few days before Christmas I decided I'd take a week off the bike. I had been riding regularly and was very happy with the miles I was getting in. After my injury (which, again, I may write about here eventually) I was determined to take it slow as I got back into riding. As I reflected on the amount of riding I'd done since buying my new bike, I was pleased. Beyond pleased, really. I was slightly concerned that I was starting to take on too many miles too soon, but my knee was feeling good overall so I wasn't too concerned. Still, I've read and known the benefits of taking some time off and figured it was a good time to take some time off.

Everything went according to plan. I took a week off. And then...well...everything seemed to fall apart. Granted, I'm talking about riding a bike, so "fall apart" is a little extreme, but still... . The easiest way to describe it is this: whether it was my work schedule, family schedule, sickness or (the biggest culprit) the weather, I've been on my bike 3 or 4 times since Christmas. So, yeah, my blog posting is relatively in line with my riding.

The good news? During my last ride (a week or so ago) I noticed that I was about 10 miles short of 2000 miles for the last 10 months. 2000 miles might not seem like much to many cyclists, but I'm thrilled. It means I'm riding more this year than I have in a long time, if not ever.

I was in San Diego recently and enjoyed seeing so many cyclists out. I read my new issue of Bicycling Magazine on the plane. I can't wait to get out again, but I'm okay with the extended break. 

No comments:

Post a Comment